Inspiration Academy’s heartbeat is founded on community and mentorship. Arguably one of the most pivotal times during a student’s year at Inspiration Academy happens within the first month of school. The school provides a unique way to intentionally engage the students in community by sending the entire student body and faculty on a retreat. The strategy behind the timing of the retreat is to start the year off by creating an atmosphere that provides an opportunity for the students to develop relationships prior to the academic year. The retreat also creates an environment between the students and teachers that will foster the mentorship program throughout the year.
What to Expect
Retreat typically looks like a 3 day/2 night adventure, during the school week, that’s filled with worship, fun, and new friends. In the week leading up to retreat, students are divided up in teams for the retreat and have fun competitions, such as the lip synch battle, during our stay there. We travel to & from camp in style by tour bus, and get to bunk in small group cabins with a school provided chaperone. Worshipping the Lord and hearing from His word is vital in our walk with Him, so we strive to have one session of worship in the morning and one at night. Camp food, team-building experiences, special activities, and supervised free-time fill in the rest of our adventure. By the end of retreat, our students have not only created memories they will cherish for a lifetime, but have formed better relationships with new friends and, most importantly, Jesus.
Where We Go
The IA Leadership Team strives to chose an off-site location that will be safe and fun for our students. For the last several years we have visited Camp Anderson located in the heart of Florida. Camp Anderson offers air-conditioned cabins, sports facilities, swimming facilities, and many more ammenities. In addition, special activities like River boat rides, archery, markmanship, paintball, and cupcake decorating are provided.
- Sleeping Bag OR Twin Sheets & Blanket
- Shoes – Sneakers, Flip flops or Water shoes
- Clothing – Tops, Shorts/Pants, PJs
- Bathing Suit (T-shirt must be worn over bikinis)
- Extra pair of clothes that can be thrown away (for tug-o-war or paintball)
- A plastic bag for dirty/wet clothes
- Bath Towel & Beach Towel
- Personal Toiletries (bath soap, shampoo/conditioner, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, contact solution, mouthwash)
- Bible, Notebook & Pen
- Bug Spray & Sun Screen
- Medications (Must have a medication authorization form & be in original perscription bottles)
- OPTIONAL: Extra spending money for snack lounge (most items range from $1-$3)
- Can my student bring thier cellphones or other electronic devices? NO. This is an unplugged event. Electronic devices will be conficated before boarding the buses, stored safely at IA for the duration of the trip, and then returned to students when we arrive back on campus. Electronic devices can often be a distraction and don’t promote heathly social interaction. The goal of Retreat is to build relationships within the IA community and with Jesus.
- How can I contact my child in case of emergency? All chaperones will have thier cellphones and will be checking thier emails regularly. An emergency contact number will be sent to parents before we leave for Retreat.
- How will I know when to pick up my child? We expect to arrive on campus at 6pm on Friday. You will recieve texts through the REMIND app regarding any changes to our ETA. You may also check our Facebook Page for updates.
- Will updates and pictures be posted on Social Media? YES! We will be regularly posting pictures and updates on all of our social media outlets. If you have not taken the time to follow our Facebook page or join our Parent’s Pride Group, please do so now to stay in touch with all of the latest IA news.
- What are sleeping accomodations like? All cabins are air-conditioned, have multiple bunk beds, and private bathrooms. Students will be assigned to a cabin with at least one chaperone and other peers grouped by gender & grade.
- Are meals included? All meals that take place on the campground are included. Camp Anderson offers an optional snack bar for between meal times. Most items range from $1-$3. You may either bring cash for the snack bar or pack your own snacks.
- What should my child bring for lunch on the day they leave? A special Publix Sub Box Lunch is avaiable for purchase through MySchoolAccount on the day we leave. However, if your student normally packs a lunch, we recommend that they pack thier lunch in a brown bag or other disposable container for that day to limit the amount of baggage they are responsible for. Either way lunch should be portable and not require heating.
- What can we do during free time? Camp Anderson offers a ton of exciting free-time ammenities! These include “The Blob”, swimming pool, athletic field, volleyball, basketball, bicycles, table games such as pool and ping-pong, and so much more!
- What special activities are being offered this year? This year students will be able to choose from two of the following special activities: Riverboat ride to the local fresh water springs, archery & marksmanship, paintball, cupcake decorating, kyaking, or tubing.
- What if my child needs to take medication while they are gone? If your child needs to take medication while they are gone, you will need complete a medication authorization form and turn it into the front desk along with your medications on the morning of the trip. All medications must be in original perscription bottles. Don’t forget to retrieve your medication from admistration at pick up!
Our Seniors share thier favorite tips and tricks!
This Retreat is the 4th retreat for most of our Senior Class. So, you could say they are pretty much experts at the whole “Retreat” thing! Here’s a lil’ advice coming from them . . .
- Bring a few of your favorite snacks to enjoy on the bus ride, and cabin time.
- Bring extra money for the Snack Hut.
- Bring card games for free time.
- Have fun & enjoy the quality time you spend with your school!
- Make a new friend!
- Cherish these memories!